BRERETON AND RAVENHILL PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of a meeting of the Parish Hall Management Committee held at the Parish Hall, Ravenhill Park, Brereton, on Wednesday, 9th January 2019.
Councillors R Easton [Chairman], K Ansell, Mrs DM Easton and Mrs G Harvey.
Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Mrs P Ansell, Miss IJ Brown, Miss C Harvey,
Mrs R Harvey and GN Molineux.
Mr PG Davies [Parish Clerk] was also present.
- DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
No declarations of interest were given at the commencement of the meeting.
That the minutes of the meeting held on 7th November 2018, be approved and signed as a correct record.
- PARISH HALL – PROGRESS REPORT
- Hire Fee Income – Update
The Committee noted details of hire fee income for the months of November and December 2018 as compared with the same period the previous year.
- Automatic Fire Warning System
The Clerk circulated a letter from Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service following activation of the fire alarm system. Upon attendance, the Fire Service had confirmed the call-out was a false alarm.
The Committee noted that in order to further enhance current procedures, the Clerk had arranged for the following:-
- Fire Equipment Services had carried out a review of the premises and tested all the equipment to ensure all was functioning properly;
- weekly tests of the fire alarm system were continuing;
- evacuation practices were being introduced with the various groups using the Parish Hall. The response from the hirers had been very positive and all had responded in a co-operative manner.
The Committee acknowledged that its absolute priority was the protection of life and property and there could be no question of deactivating the alarm system when the property was occupied.
That the Fire and Rescue Service be acquainted with the foregoing.
- Telephone Contracts
The Clerk reported that the telephone contracts with Pop Telecom would shortly be expiring and a review of current provision was required.
That the Clerk liaise with Pop Telecom with a view to continuing the current arrangements but if this was not possible, the Parish Council investigate alternative provision with other providers.
The Committee noted that the enhancement programme had been successfully completed and fifteen cameras were now operational.
That a letter of thanks be sent to Mr Peter Beeston at PAB Alarms.
- CHRISTMAS FEATURES
The Clerk reported that Councillor Miss IJ Brown had made a donation of £24.00 towards the Christmas Lights Project.
The Clerk would be liaising with Lighting Futures on the following:-
- cost of either purchasing or hiring an artificial Christmas tree [pre-lit] for Ravenhill Park and also the cost of Lighting Futures erecting and dismantling the tree;
- the cost of erecting some of the feature lights returned to the Chairman in Armitage Road, together with installation costs for new features.
- That a letter of thanks be sent to Councillor Miss IJ Brown for her kind donation.
- That Lighting Futures be thanked for their work which was an improvement on the type of features used last year and they be informed that it was the Parish Council’s hope that even further enhancement might be possible later this year.
- BUS SHELTERS
The Chairman welcomed Karen Mann to the meeting. Karen outlined proposals to provide new replacement bus shelters along the entire length of Main Road, Brereton and Brereton Road.
The Committee advised Karen as follows:-
- the new shelter outside the doctors surgery would have to be of the cantilever type with vandal proof glass or Perspex to the top part of the shelter only;
- the shelter near The Laurels was in need of urgent replacement. The new shelter could be of the enclosed type with high-sided windows.
Karen Mann undertook to organise a site meeting with the suppliers, Shelutions, Councillor R Easton and Mr M Keeling from the County Council, in order to move this project forward.
- PURCHASE OF HEDGE CUTTER
The Chairman updated the Committee on progress being made regarding the provision of a hedge cutter.
That the Chairman be authorised to pursue negotiations with suppliers for the provision of a
suitable hedge cutter, subject to the cost not exceeding £5,000 plus VAT.
- FINANCE REPORT
The Report of the Clerk showing the income and expenditure of the Parish Hall, as at
7th November 2018, was received for information and noted.
- DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING
That the next meeting be held on 6th February 2019, at 7.30 p.m.